Thursday 25 October 2018

Liberty Tea for Two


As soon as I saw the Tea for Two fabric range by Liberty of London, I knew I just HAD to make a collection of dollies using them. 

'The collection consists of a set of eight prints, inspired by an afternoon tea as a much loved British tradition. Filled with cupcake delights and a set of china cups. Follow us down the garden trail to uncover a secret meadow where an afternoon of sweet treats are enjoyed amongst a plethora of flowers. Daisies are a synonymous flower within this collection, alongside trailing vines, toadstools and hidden strawberries. The colour palette includes warm dusty pinks, coral tones mixed with lavender, denim and cornflower blues. The warmer, neutral tones are inspired by the stone paths on local walking trails.' - Liberty.



I had visions of little dollies sitting around a picnic hamper with little girls, eating cake and sipping tea from dinky china teacups.  But I didn't know if I would be able to use it as I was unaware if they had been tested to EN71-3; the test all fabrics intended for toy making must undergo to ensure the toxicity levels in the dying process meet requirements suitable for CE standards. I did a bit of research and found that they had indeed been tested, and I was able to obtain the certificates needed for my technical files. So I went ahead and ordered a selection from the range, and then tested them for flammability (also a required measure when CE marking toys). I was SO happy when they passed.  I would finally be able to make my vision a reality. 



Photo credit: You, Me and Mabel.


I wanted the dolls outfits to be simple, classic and pretty and matched their hair colour and skin tones to compliment the Liberty fabrics.  I also teamed a few with some Makower linea which complimented them perfectly. 















I am holding a stall at the Christmas Fair on Easy Street in Barclaycard, Northampton on 5th November, so I managed to get a collection of dolls finished for that. I had a play with some crates, trying to set up what my table might look like, but I am far from happy with it.  I think I need to line the bottom of them with wrapping paper as they are not finished to a very good standard.  Hopefully, my pretty dolls will detract the eye from the crates!



Any of the dolls that do not sell will be available to purchase on my website on 9th November from 8pm GMT.  I think they will make the perfect gift this Christmas. 

What is your fabric print from the Tea for Two collection?  Do you have a favourite doll?


No comments: