Sunday 1 March 2020

March Meet the Maker - Day 1


Hello! I have wanted to do a March Meet the Maker for a few years now but I usually remember about half way through the month! So I’m going to give it a go and hopefully I’ll get past day 5 (we’ll skim over the fact that I’m already a day late šŸ˜‰)! I’ll try not to repeat the same back story for those who have been following my journey for a while, but I will try to fill in those of you who recently joined my page and would like to know a little bit about me. 



My name is Aimie. I’m about to celebrate the last year of my 30’s (eeek!) and I’m the face behind Little Sugar Plums. I design and create CE certified dress-up dolls in my basement sewing room in Northampton. 



I was never very good at textiles  when I was younger and kind of winged it throughout school. I failed my textiles GSCE when it came to doing my exams! šŸ˜©
However after the birth of my daughter, Amelia in 2010, I was determined to make clothes for her and bought myself a sewing machine, some patterns and books and haven't stopped sewing since! 

The dolls came completely by accident. I was given a sewing book as a birthday present and decided to make one of the doll patterns in it from one of Amelia’s old cot sheets. I really enjoyed making it, and after I made a few more and started to get better, I soon started receiving orders from friends and family. I wasn't happy with any of the patterns on the market that I tried, so I designed my own.  I then took the daunting route of CE testing and in 2012, Little Sugar Plums was born! I almost feel embarrassed to put this photo online as it's just awful!  But it makes me realise just how much my skills  have improved (look at me now Mrs Cook!!).

Don't laugh! 
So proud of how my skills have improved since then!


 My Facebook page was thriving and in 2014, I became so busy that I gave up my job as a self employed childminder, started making dolls and children’s clothing full time and never looked back! Due to the social media algorithms in recent years, I have had to slow down a bit. I still have a lot of repeat customers who keep coming back to me year after year which I am eternally grateful for. But getting seen by new customers is proving difficult. I have decided this year that I will take a new approach with my business and will do more local fairs in my area to expand my customer base. 

I am currently working on some new products which I hope will be more affordable.  Watch this space for further updates!

No comments: